Using Japanese Library Resources
Japanese studies senior thesis preparation
Chiaki Sakai, University of Iowa
Yoko Okunishi, Japanese American National Museum
Subject of the Lesson
Locate Japanese library online resources; identify types of databases depending on materials (books and journals); develop search skills to effectively retrieve Japanese language materials; and recognize library services.
Japanese study major students
Application of ACRL Standards 1-2; SAILS Skills Sets 3-7 & 9
- Students will locate Japanese library OPAC and journal index.
- Students will identify types of library databases available, depending on materials (books or journals).
- Students will practice database search and develop effective search skills.
- Students will recognize search tips necessary to use Japanese online databases, including (ワード検索 and 全文検索)as well as word division.
- Students will access library materials through library services.
National Diet Library online databases, including its OPAC (書誌検索) and journal index (雑誌記事索引検索).
- Use online databases: Basic search
NDL OPAC and Zasshi kiji sakuin.
- Use online databases: Advanced search
Search tips (ワード検索,全文検索, and Japanese word division), and the use of help files.
- Access journal articles
Library Catalog and ILL
- Brief Lecture - Introduction: Japanese library online databases by National Diet Library, including its OPAC (書誌検索) and journal index (雑誌記事索引検索).
- Active Learning - Students will locate appropriate NDL online databases, examining materials (books or journals).
- Guided searching NDL OPAC and Zassaku (Basic Search): Students will try basic keyword search. Students will find other keywords in relevant search results retrieved and refine search terms.
- Guided Searching NDL OPAC and Zassaku (Advanced Search): Students will use help files and scope notes of the database. Students will use advanced search options. Students will also learn search tips for a Japanese language database.
- Brief Lecture - Explain Japanese word division
- Brief Lecture - Explain how to interpret the citation information referring to database help files.
Active Learning - Short quizzes will be assigned to students.
- Guided Search - Students will practice the use of library catalogs to locate library materials.
- Brief Lecture - Introduce the ILL service.
Active Learning - Students will fill up ILL request form to order library materials.