Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
North American Coordinating Council on Japanese Library Resources
About the NCC
NCC is a community hub for the field of Japanese Studies, providing freely available online services and Japanese information resources to all users.
Founded in 1991, NCC works closely with librarians, faculty, and funding agencies to strengthen Japanese language collections and to promote access to information in all forms and formats. NCC works in partnership with Japanese institutions, leading organizations in North America, and globally throughout the fields of Japanese studies to create and disseminate services.
NCC serves as a vocal advocate for broader access to Japanese information for all users and stands ready to work with librarians, faculty, students, and others to develop new initiatives to meet emerging library and information resource needs to advance Japanese studies scholarship and to benefit understanding internationally.
Major NCC Initiatives:
- to create a freely circulating collection of over 42,000 items;
- to promote cooperative collection development among North American libraries;
- to create more efficient and wide-ranging forms of information exchange within North America, between North American and Japanese libraries, and among those interested in Japan everywhere;
- to improve access to library and information resources on Japan for students and faculty at both large and small institutions;
- to support reference and other services to faculty and students in smaller institutions without major Japanese language collections and without the services of a trained Japanese studies librarian;
- to develop professional training and continuing education programs for librarians who serve the information needs of Japanese studies faculty and their students;
- to promote information literacy through online user-training on Japanese language electronic resources, and;
- to facilitate access to electronic materials developed on Japan by sharing information and providing a forum for discussion of issues related to digital resources.
The NCC Handbook is available HERE.
NCC Officers and Members Lists (Past and Current)
Contact the Webmaster