Subject of the Lesson
Identifying sources of books and articles about Japanese law; using indexes effectively to find such resources; understanding Japanese case citations; becoming conversant with basic Japanese legal terminology.
Pre-law undergraduates and law students; political science students, and others with an interest in Japanese law.
(note: this lesson addresses ACRL Standards 1, 2 and 4. Of the SAILS Skill Sets, it addresses Sets 1-5 and 7.)
- Students will learn to find English translations of Japanese laws and cases
- Students will select appropriate English and Japanese print materials for information related to Japanese laws
- Students will select appropriate English and Japanese electronic resources for information related to Japanese laws
- Students will learn to use Japanese case citations to find cases in Japanese-language sources
- Students will search relevant catalogs and periodical indexes effectively to find books and articles about Japanese law in both English and Japanese