Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
North American Coordinating Council on Japanese Library Resources
17. Introduction to Japanese Legal Materials: A Workshop
Subject of the Lesson
Identifying sources of books and articles about Japanese law; using indexes effectively to find such resources; understanding Japanese case citations; becoming conversant with basic Japanese legal terminology.
Pre-law undergraduates and law students; political science students, and others with an interest in Japanese law.
(note: this lesson addresses ACRL Standards 1, 2 and 4. Of the SAILS Skill Sets, it addresses Sets 1-5 and 7.)
- Students will learn to find English translations of Japanese laws and cases
- Students will select appropriate English and Japanese print materials for information related to Japanese laws
- Students will select appropriate English and Japanese electronic resources for information related to Japanese laws
- Students will learn to use Japanese case citations to find cases in Japanese-language sources
- Students will search relevant catalogs and periodical indexes effectively to find books and articles about Japanese law in both English and Japanese
Contact the Webmaster