Training the Trainers Workshop Assignment (September 27, 2004)
Sanae Isozumi ( University of California, San Diego)
Julie Su ( San Diego State University)
Subject of the Lesson
To obtain the basic skills to do bibliographic search; to gain the knowledge on how to locate and retrieve the resources identified (news, journal articles and books).
Japanese Studies Seminar - 1st year graduate students group
- Students will select appropriate online bibliographic tools for their search of news, journal articles and books.
- Student will be able to search in online catalogs and databases effectively.
- Student will demonstrate how to use the Boolean operators AND and OR.
- Student will be able to retrieve the wanted library resources and initiate ILL requests
Note: this lesson addresses ACRL Standards 1, 2, and 3. Of the SAILS Skill Sets, it addresses Sets 3--6, and 9.
( 90 minutes session)
- Introduce bibliographic search tools for news, journal articles and books
- Online catalog in US - Roger, Melvyl and Worldcat
- Online catalog in Japan - Webcat , Waseda University OPAC and NDL-OPAC
- Journal articles database - MagazinePlus, JSTOR and Expanded Academic
- Newspaper articles database - LexisNexis and Nikkei Telecom 21
- Practice searching skills by using Boolean operators AND and OR
- Introduce the process for requesting library materials
- Using "Request" function in Roger and Melvyl
- Using ILL services - Global IMF
- Explain what materials are covered
- Brief description on various bibliographic searching tools for newspaper, journal articles and books
Individual exercise: Students will locate 3 types (newspaper, journal articles and books) of resources on sample research subjects prepared by an instructor. Students will share their experiences with the class.
- Lecture on how to construct a search query by using Boolean operators AND and OR.
Group exercise: Pair the students. Students will work on exercises to construct effective search query on predefined topics supplied by an instructor. Students report their findings to the class.
- Lecture on how to retrieve the materials needed