About International House of Japan
International House of Japan was launched in 1952 and its headquarters opened in 1955. The main building is an important example of early postwar Japanese Modernist architecture. The development of International House of Japan was made possible by collaborative efforts supported in great part by John D. Rockefeller 3rd and the Rockefeller Foundation. Its building is located on the former estate of Baron Iwasaki and retains a magnificent Japanese garden which is seen out the windows of the library. The library has beautiful views of the traditional Japanese-style garden reflecting the changing seasons.