Originally established in 1870 as the Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College, the institution was made possible as a land-grant university in accordance with the Morrill Act of 1862 signed by President Lincoln. Classes began in 1873, and the first class graduated in 1878, the same year that the institution's name was changed to The Ohio State University. The first woman graduated in 1879. The student yearbook, first issued in 1880 has a Japanese title, Makio or Magic Mirror.
The Division of East Asian Languages and Literatures began teaching Japanese courses in 1962, and was established as the Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures in 1969. The East Asian Studies Center, established in 1969, has been designated a Comprehensive National Resource Center during 1981-1991, 1994- 2003, 2006-2018.
The Institute for Japanese Studies (IJS) was created in 1985 through a gubernatorial initiative in recognition of Ohio's national status as the second greatest site of Japanese manufacturing investment, with funding to intensify language training, introduce courses for students in professional schools, and reach out to businesses and the community. Today it continues to vigorously promote education and research about Japan.
Other Academic Information