Skip to main content
North American Coordinating Council on Japanese Library Resources
Kristina Troost, PhD
Course: Research Methods in Japanese Studies, 2005 Spring,
Compilation of Historical Statistics
- Nihon Chōki tōkei sōran = Historical Statistics of Japan 日本長期統計総覧
Somucho. Tokeikyoku. Tokyo: Nihon Tokei Kyokai, 1987-1988. 5 vols.
This summarizes information from the statistical yearbooks(Nihon Teikoku tōkei nenkan and Nihon tōkei nenkan) for 1885 to 1985, but unlike them includes defense statistics. Bilingual in English and Japanese.
- Chōki keizai tōkei. Estimates of Long-Term Economic Statistics of Japan Since 1868. 長期経済統計。推計と分析. 13 vols.
Tōyō Keizai Shinpōsha, 1976.
Compiled by a team of economists after WWII to address the need for economic statistics for the wartime era and to create a continous index.
- Nihon Tōkei Nenkan = Japan Statistical Yearbook 日本統計年鑑
The standard source. Each entry gives the original source, if more detailed statistics are needed.
- Shichōson jōhō sōran 2000. 市町村情報総覧2000
A two-volume set covering eastern and western japan containing hard-to-find statistical data for villages, towns and cities.
- Minryoku: Tōdōfuken-betsu Minryoku Sokutei Shiryōshū.
民力 都道府県別民力測定資料集 Duke has 1991 to present
General statistical tables by region and prefecture;covers population, industry, land, economics, transportation, housing, prices, migration, spending patterns.All entries in Japanese only.
- Shakai seikatsu tōkei shihyō. Statistical Indicators on Social Life. 社会生活統計指標。
Duke has 1988-present
Covers population, economics, finance, education, labor, family budgets, housing, social security, health care, safety, allocation of daily time.
Contact the Webmaster