Skip to main content
North American Coordinating Council on Japanese Library Resources
Kristina Troost, PhD
Course: Research Methods in Japanese Studies, 2005 Spring,
- Readings for Place Names
- Local History Dictionaries, Handbooks, and Chronologies
- Atlases: General; Historical; Contemporary Japanese National Atlases
- Web Links
Kristina Kade Troost, PhD Librarian for Japan and Korea
Perkins Library, Duke University
Last Update: 05/22/02
- Take a place in Japan which you know well or which interests you (Tokyo is so large that if you choose it, you will need to choose a section of it) and find out everything you can about it, its history before 1868, its development in the prewar era, its wartime experience, its present situation. Use:
- Kadokawa Nihon chimei jiten 角川日本地名辞典
EA Ref: 915.2003 K11 1978
- Nihon zushi taikei. 日本図誌体系。
EA Ref: 912.52 qN691
- Nihon toshi sensai chizu. 日本都市戦災地図
EA Ref Folio: f940.5352 N691 1983
- Nihon bunken chizu chimei soran 1993 : kokyo kikan, chikeizu sakuin, jidosha rosen eigyo kiroteizu. 日本分県地図地名総覧１９９３：公共機関地系図索引、自動車路線営業キロ程図。
EA Ref: 912.52 N691 1992 -- see earlier editions as well
- Meiji Taisho Nihon toshi chizu shusei. 明治大正日本都市地図集成
EA Ref Folio: 912.52 M512, 1986
- Showa zenki Nihon toshi chizu shusei. 昭和前期日本都市地図集成
EA Ref Folio: 912.52 S559, 1986
- See other atlases if relevant (esp. for Tokyo) http://www.lib.duke.edu/ias/eac/geography.html#atlas
- How much travel information can you find on the web for Japan?
- See http://www.lib.duke.edu/ias/eac/jpntravel.htm
- Compare Jalan: Recreation, Travel and Sightseeing Information (in Japanese) http://www.isize.com/travel/ with Travel and Sightseeing Information
and a site for foreign tourists maintained by the Japanese National Tourist Organization http://www.jnto.go.jp/
- Look at the web site maintained by the Kokudo Chiriin http://www.gsi.go.jp/ Compare it to US Geological Survey http://www.usgs.gov/. Do they have different missions?
- How do you read the following address: 練馬区向山
hint: try using Nihon bunken chizu chimei sōran
- Look through Nihon shuyo chizu shusei : Meiji kara gendai made 日本主要地図集成：明治から現代まで
EAC: 016.91252 N691, 1995 (I will put it in EA ref temporarily).
Consider format, use of color, the purposes of mapping. You may want to look at Isles of Gold : Antique Maps of Japan, PL: q912.52 C827 I82 1983 or "Cartography in Japan" by Unno Kazutaka, in Cartography in the Traditional East and Southeast Asian Societies, The History of Cartography, vol. 2, PL: 526.09 H673, 1987
- Reading place names:
- Old place names: look at Chimei reddo deta bukku = Red Data Gazetteer of Japan. 地名レッドデータブック。 EA Ref: 915.2003 K16 C538 1994
- How many old readings are there for 上野
- Current place names: Shin Nihon chimei sakuin = New Index Gazetteer of Japan. 新日本地名索引。3v.
EA Ref: 915.2003 K16 S556 1993 Based on current 1:25,000 maps. Includes over 1 million place names. Volume One is arranged by reading (gojuon); Volumes Two and Three are arranged by Chinese characters.
- How many readings can you find for 日向. What are they?
- How do you read 間人? 及位?
Contact the Webmaster